About Our Founder
Paul is the founder and lead instructor of Lean On Me Training. He’s an experienced trainer and an accredited MHFA Instructor.
Following successful careers in IT, banking, consultancy and training, Paul formed Lean on Me to use his own lived experience of mental health issues to provide a powerful context to the mental health first aid course devised by MHFA England.
When leading his training sessions, Paul strives to create a safe, yet challenging environment in which to explore the sensitive subject of Mental Health. Backed up personal experience and a deep knowledge of the subject, Paul delivers engaging, inclusive sessions which leave trainees with practical skills and a greater understanding of MHFA.
In 2020, Paul successfully completed the only licensed MHFA Instructor training programme in England, accredited by the Royal Society for Public Health. Mental Health First Aid (MHFA) is the mental health equivalent of a physical first aid course. Instructor Members, such as Paul, are continually quality assured using robust assessment and evaluation measures.
“Paul delivered this sensitive programme with great skill and humility. His knowledge of the subject was outstanding. His ability to balance his behavioural style to include appropriate humour, empathy and direction enabled even the most challenging subjects and issues to be discussed in an environment of safety and confidentiality. Michael, MHFA Trainee 2021
About Lean On Me
Paul Cooper founded Lean On Me Training to promote mental health awareness and education throughout corporate and social environments. Lean On Me is on a mission to promote mental health awareness and positive support in businesses and within the general community and to educate those who wish to support others in quality first line intervention.
We’re doing this by providing the most informative and engaging training on the challenging subjects of mental health. Our trainers are selected for their experience in providing first line support and for their background in high quality training delivery.
Paul is driven by his first-hand experiences with mental health through his career. He suffered with deep depression and associated mental illnesses throughout his career, but did not recognise or know how to deal with what he was facing. He openly talks about his journey to recovery through his dark days to bring to life the process of applying mental health first aid in a live environment.
Lean On Me has delivered online courses since 2020 and has had hundreds of delegates successfully achieve their accreditation. We also provide consultancy to businesses who have been motivated to instigate wellbeing programmes within the workplace and who wish to actively support valuable employees with a myriad of mental health issues.
Lean on is the go-to company for mental health first aid training and consultancy.
Not only do we deliver quality training online and in classrooms, but we also help companies instigate a ‘care in the workplace’ mental health program.
We are also one of the few mental health first aid companies that offer ‘post-course’ support to your first aiders, giving them a vital listening ear for those challenges that they face at the
workplace or at home.
Our trainers and associates have several things in common
- We are all first-class instructors with at least 10 years of providing education into businesses and to individuals.
- We have all ‘lived experience’ of mental health issues. We know what it is like to go through anxiety, depression and severe episodes of ‘dark places’ – and we are happy to share our experiences with our delegates. That way, they can better prepare for delivering mental health first aid in the workplace.
- Our trainers are all volunteers with various mental health charities (e.g. Samaritans), so their knowledge and experience of mental health first aid is in-depth and relevant
- Our own experiences have given us a passion for promoting mental health awareness, teaching others how to recognize mental ill-health and provide early intervention.
Lean On Me Training provides ongoing support services to all our corporate clients, these include:
- Provision of the MHFA England ‘Mental Health First Aid Support app’. This is a user-friendly mobile app that gives Mental Health First Aiders resources, conversation-logging, signposting, 24/7 text support. It also provides data-driven insights to allow you to under organization-wide wellbeing issues and trends, to develop and track the impact of your mental health and wellbeing strategy.
- A monthly facilitated online workshop for all mental health first aiders to discuss issues and experiences. This helps develop a first aider community and support network.
- Telephone support for all mental health first aiders who need independent, confidential, and supportive assistance to help with any matter arising from their role.
- A monthly newsletter on relevant and interesting mental health matters within the UK.
- Access to a professional counsellor who is a member of the British Association of Counsellors and Psychotherapists on an ad hoc and emergency basis (optional service)
Post-course support is available to any company, no matter who trained the mental health first aiders. Price for this service is based on number of mental health first aiders being supported.
Greater support for those in greater need
We fully appreciate that sometimes a mental health first aider can struggle to get someone they are concerned about to seek appropriate professional help. With so many signposting options available, it can be difficult to know what route is the most suitable.
Lean On Me is proud to partner with Forest Counselling to provide professional psychotherapy support to both mental health first aiders and company employees. Sessions are delivered online or by telephone.
And if you are a company …
Lean On Me Training is proud to be partnering with The Little Survey Company, recognising that the best start for a well-being programme in a company is understanding the views of its employees and what challenges it is facing. This is a key element in getting mental health awareness into your business.